- 25-Jan-2013 to 09-May-2013 (CST)
- Industrial Sciences
- College Station, TX, USA
- Full Time
Lynntech develops world-class technology solutions and is actively engaged in various stages of technology development from preliminary concept generation and feasibility demonstration all the way through advanced engineering and manufacturing of products to meet different customer needs by integrating creative talent, business expertise, and purpose-built facilities.
The Industrial Science Unit (IS) is comprised of a group of Scientists and Engineers that develop advanced thermal and non-thermal plasma systems to provide world class solutions in various defense, aerospace, energy and medical applications. Example applications of plasma technology that Lynntech's IS unit is currently working on include improved combustion of engines and generators, advanced fuel reformers for improved food service burners and fuel cell based power systems, biogas purifiers for power generation, actuators for flow separation control, synthesis of advanced and energetic nanomaterials and coatings, surface treatments, technologies for disinfection and sterilization of medical instruments, burn wound technologies, heavy hydrocarbon cracking/upgrading, waste to energy systems for improved resource utilization, emission control etc.
The IS unit is seeking an experienced and creative Applied Plasma Scientist with expertise in thermal and non-thermal plasma system design to join our close-knit collaborative group. This Scientist will have the opportunity to be involved in the following functions as part of this job:
- Create a vision, agenda and strategic plan for core technology development in the area of thermal and non thermal plasma
- Identify relevant government and commercial markets that have a need for technology solutions utilizing plasma systems
- Generation of new ideas and concepts for the utilization of plasma technology for solving scientific challenges in various applications
- Obtain buy-in from Chief Technologist and company stake-holders for the implementation of plasma technology strategic plan
- Procure near and long term funding commitments for performing feasibility studies and for developing applied technology and product solutions for specific customers
- Direct research and development activities as the Principal Investigator and lead a team of research personnel to successfully accomplish technical goals and objectives of funded projects
- Assist in the execution of projects to commercialize and deliver world class products that meet customer expectations
- Leverage established network of contacts within the plasma research industry to promote collaborative research efforts in plasma and exxpand and strengthen network over time
- Represent IS unit and Lynntech as plasma subject matter expert in various research conferences, and business meetings
- Mentor, and guide young scientists and engineers in the fundamental understanding and application of plasma technologies for various platforms in order to grow core plasma research capability within group
Why should you work at Lynntech?
- Your work will have impact and make a difference in the world: Lynntech employees get to work across various disciplines, and are engaged in all aspects of technology development from idea generation to commercialization.
- You get the best of both worlds: We offer the infrastructure and stability of an established company as well as the challenge, benefits, and entrepreneurial spirit associated with a small business.
- Your work will be interesting and varied: You will have the opportunity to be creative and work on a myriad of projects across various industries (defense, energy, aerospace and medical). If you can get buy-in for your idea and procure funding to pursue research, you will get to work on it.
- You'll be able to contribute to the organization in a variety of ways: You will get to wear a variety of hats in this role – some examples include core technology strategy development, proposal writing, research and technology development, product development, program management, business development, mentorship of young researchers.
- You get to work with the best, the brightest, and the most creative: People are Lynntech's biggest asset. We employ personnel across a broad range of disciplines including physicists, chemists, biologists, engineers, program managers, and business development.
Some examples of the skills and techniques applicable to this position are as follows.
- Fundamental understanding of plasma discharge physics and plasma assisted chemical pathways
- Fundamental understanding of fluid dynamics, heat transfer, thermodynamics, combustion science etc.
- Thermal and non-thermal plasma system design (Dielectric barrier discharge, hollow cathode discharge, microwave discharge, inductively coupled plasma discharge, corona discharge, glow arc discharge etc.)
- Multi-physics computational modeling and numerical analysis
- Project management and proposal writing
- Product roadmap development, strategic planning and business development
- The applicant is anticipated to have the following qualifications.
- Ph.D. degree in Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or a related field with at least 3-4 years of documented experience in a research environment (as a post-doctoral research scholar or in the industry)
- Expertise in fundamental physics and engineering principles & design processes with emphasis on plasma technology and associated applications
- Strong technical writing, speaking, and presentation skills
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply online at www.lynntech.com. Feel free to include a cover letter or expanded resume to outline how you fit this position.
Lynntech is an EEO/AA employer.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts!